- Decide to forgive. Forgiveness is about freeing yourself so you can get on with your life.
- Visualise how letting go will be good for you. Imagine how your mind will be clearer, your heart healthier and your life more enriched.
- Develop empathy. We can all think of people we may have hurt over the years. Bearing this in mind, think about the person who has hurt you and ask yourself where the behaviour may have come from. If we develop empathy, we can find that forgiving comes more easily.
- Write a letter to the person who hurt you (but don’t send it). End the letter on a positive note, telling them you’re choosing to let go and move on with your life and wish them well with theirs.
- Take positive action. Maybe you haven’t been able to do something because you’ve been holding on to the past, but now that you’ve decided to forgive, maybe you’ll be free to do it.
Feb 03, 2015