Purpose of the role
Provides HR leadership to DBGSS through implementation of the plan, by translating the Midsteram strategy into operational plans in conjunction with GSS HR leadership teams and implements the plan in order to attract, develop and retain the people required to deliver high performance. Provides tactical and operational support for assigned functions across the full range of HR activities, ensuring adherence to Group standards, policies and procedures.
The role will have a specific focus to provide leadership direction and advice to GSS business to ensure effective and successful delivery of the talent management agenda across GSS and the broader midstream. This will involve facilitating effective business partnerships by promoting talent management and people development practices to support all the needs of GSS and the midstream business. This role requires the design and implementation of a midstream talent acquisition, development and deployment strategy aligned to the overall De Beers Global Talent Strategy adapting as required to optimise effectiveness whilst maintaining the integrity of the strategy.
Work of the role
- Responsible for and manage the overall departmental safety, health and environmental programme in line with the operational strategy and objectives
- Ensure effective implementation of the DBGSS and De Beers Group (where appropriate) HR policies, procedures, initiatives and programmes, in conjunction with the Midstream HR teams and ensure the effective implementation across DBGSS.
- Participate in GSS People Forums and provide input and proposals thereby ensuring that DBGSS requirements are understood and considered when strategies, guidelines and mandates are set.
- Operate as an internal consultant to other department’s leadership teams assisting in the development of strategic and tactical plans to support specific identified short and long term business goals.
- Provide coaching, constructive challenge and objective feedback to leadership team enabling them to carry out their people management responsibilities effectively.
Talent Management and Organisational Effectiveness
- Coordinate and manage the Midstream Talent Management agenda and processes (including Development, Performance Management and Succession planning cycles and processes ) and provide guidance to the GSS EXCO and Midstream EXCO in respect of the talent risks, bench strength of the talent pool and talent retention strategies to meet operational
- Takes the lead in the identification and development of talent and successors in the business and provides a work environment that retains quality staff, in partnership with the business leaders
- Leads and coordinates Midstream Talent Reviews and DBGSS People Forums to ensure talent risks are identified and proper mitigation plans are developed and implemented.
- Partners with various tertiary institutions to source for critical skills and talent required for the business, in line with the organisational people needs.
- Work with Head of Human Resources to establish a Public-Private partnership Forum where identified businesses/organisations within the diamond industry collaborate with government and learning institutions to ensure that identified critical skills are available to ensure business continuity and achieve sustainable beneficiation.
- Lead development and implementation of organisation design and organisational effectiveness to ensure all designed work, roles and departmental structures; instigate review for effectiveness and efficiency. Initiate and facilitate change and business improvement for key processes.
- Help line leaders create a high performance culture that emphasises work place accountability, quality, productivity, standards and goal attainment.
- Proactively monitor workplace engagement levels and works with line leaders to drive improved engagement in the organisation.
- Assesses emerging trends in internal workforce and external labour markets to determine skills availability and develops plans to close any gaps.
Recruitment and Selection
- Oversee and guide the provision of suitably qualified, experienced and motivated employees at the right time at the right place
- Develops and maintains strategic workforce planning and resource planning activities to ensure that the skills mix, manning levels and headcount projections are aligned to future business requirements.
Remuneration & Reward
- Implement midstream Remuneration and Reward strategy, guidelines and policies
- Provide guidance in respect of preparation of documentation for job evaluation, facilitate the process and implementation of results.
- Oversee, guide and interpret the implementation of remuneration and reward mandates and agreements for DBGSS within agreed expenditure
- Manage the implementation of a range of employee benefits within DBGSS
- Engage with functional specialist as required
- Oversee and manage the implementation of Employee Wellness and Employee Assistance programmes and monitor employee wellness reports from the provider
- Accountable for Employee Relations management at DBGSS
- Ensure that all practices governing the employees are in line with legislation and DBGSS requirements and engage with functional specialist as required
- Ensure employees understand disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Faciliate training in the handling discipline and grievances
- Implement disciplinary, grievance procedures and dispute settlements at the local level
- Ensure that employees and employee bodies are engaged regularly to maintain good relations between employees and employer
- Provide support and influence to managers and employees in helping to resolve performance and disciplinary and grievances issues.
- Ensure compliance with all obligations under relevant employee consultation processes.
Budgeting and Cost Benefit Measures
- Analyse the department’s financial needs to develop a budget and ensure sufficient financial resources to meet business needs
- Responsible for, approve and monitor the utilisation of allocated funds to enable the attainment of departmental objectives
- Interpret and integrate operational support requirements to ensure availability of financial resources to meet business objectives
- Prioritise and track utilisation of available funds to provide an effective service to the business and drive the implementation of the DBGSS strategy
- Identify and manage the implementation of and adherence to legal and corporate governance principles/requirements
- Formulate guidelines for security best practice directives, standards and governance principles
Qualifications and Experience
- An undergraduate qualification (Bachelors / Honours Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in a relevant functional discipline, e.g. Human Resources, Psychology, Industrial Psychology, Business Management or equivalent
- A postgraduate qualification (Masters degree or equivalent) in a relevant discipline OR a proven track record of extensive practical experience in a role and context of similar complexity is an added advantage Track record in delivering results in a pressurised, complex and demanding environments.
- Strong leadership and people management capability
- Proven track record of delivery in talent management within a global organisation.
- A demonstrated leader and expert in the understanding and application of talent management and/or HR practices and approaches
- Demonstrated experience in a senior talent leadership role within an HR environment, including the coordination of knowledge sharing across disciplines, managing workload and reviewing the work of others to ensure consistency with task requirements
- Proven track record in collaborating with various stakeholders and driving for success
Knowledge and skills
- Understanding of the HR Global strategy and business strategy
- Understanding of customer expectations
- Relationship management
- Understanding of group policies, procedures, initiatives and programmes
- Understanding of all HR philosophies and processes and ability to align, integrate and apply DBGSS processes and data accordingly
- Performance management and talent management knowledge, skills and application
- Team Leadership and People Managemnt.
- Critical Thinking and Innovation.
- Stakeholder management and influencing skills
- Negotiating skills, decisive and assertive.
- Commercial business understanding
- Influencing skills.
- Partnership & Relationship management.
- People coaching skills
- HR value chain
Closing date and application instructions
Please click on APPLY below to submit your application.
Closing date: Tuesday 22nd August 2017
Publication end date