The SADC Secretariat announces the launch of the 2023 SADC Media Awards Competition. The SADC Media awards are open to journalists from SADC Member States. Entries are invited from the following categories:
i) Print Journalism: comprising features/articles published in newspapers, newsletters, website, magazines;
ii) Radio Journalism: comprising broadcast material;
● Broadcast material should have a minimum duration of (1) one minute and a maximum duration of 30 (thirty) minutes. All broadcast material should be submitted on a CD or USB. The entries should be accompanied by electronic transcript in word format for translation purposes.
iii) Television Journalism: comprising televised material;
● Broadcast material should have a minimum duration of (1) one minute and a maximum duration of (45) forty-five minutes. All broadcast material should be submitted on a CD or USB. The entries should be accompanied by electronic transcript in word format for translation purposes.
iv) Photojournalism: comprising published pictures with a caption;
● Photographic entries should have (1) one photo, a pictorial spread of not more than (20) twenty photos published in one issue/ edition. Each entry must be accompanied by an original newspaper in which photo (s) were published.
Each category carries;
● First Prize of USD2,500.00 (Two Thousand Five Hundred US Dollars)
● Signed certificate by the SADC Chairperson
● Second Prize of USD1,000.00 (One Thousand US Dollars)
Rules of the Competition
i. The entries should have been published/broadcast between January and December the year preceding the awards (2022) by a registered and/or authorized media house or agency or carried on a website of a registered and/or authorized media house or agency in any of the SADC Member States;
ii. The themes of the entries to be submitted for the competition must be on issues and activities promoting Regional Integration in the SADC region, i.e. infrastructure, economy, water, culture, sports, agriculture, etc.
iii. All media practitioners who are SADC nationals may enter the competition, except those in institutions contracted by SADC and the SADC Secretariat staff;
iv. All works entering the competition should be in one of the SADC working languages, i.e. English, Portuguese, French and any national indigenous language of the SADC Region and should be submitted together with the transcript in one of the three SADC working languages, i.e. English, French and Portuguese. These should be published/broadcast (newspaper cutting, websites, magazines, audio CDs or USB and newsletters;
v. All submissions must be made strictly on the SADC Media Award Entry Form and should contain full contact details of the entrant, including, passport-sized photograph, physical address, telephone and, where applicable, fax number and e-mail address.
vi. Entry forms are available online on the SADC website at www.sadc.int or at Botswana Government Communication and Information System (BGCIS) Offices
vii. Entries will be initially screened and judged by the National Adjudication Committee, which will select the best entry in each of the four categories to be forwarded to the Regional Adjudication Committee (RAC), through the SADC Secretariat.
viii. Selection of the best regional entries will be decided upon by the RAC.
ix. RAC reserves the right not to award a prize in any of the categories if the categories do not satisfactorily meet the competition requirements.
All entries must be submitted to the Botswana Government Communication and Information System (BGCIS) not later than February 28, 2023.
Entries to be hand delivered to:
Botswana Government Communication and Information System (BGCIS)
Plot 211, Tsheko Road (Opposite Gaborone Senior Secondary School Pedestrian Gate and Karong Clinic) Gaborone
For more information, please contact the following;
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com