Botswana Public Employees Union (BOPEU), and The National Amalgamated Local & Central Government Parastatal Workers Union (NALCGPWU) are highly impressed with President Masisi’s newly set Constitutional Review Commission.
The two (2) Trade Unions view His Excellency the President Mokgweetsi Keabetswe Masisi as a resolute leader as he heeded the call for constitutional review, and acted on “his promise in his first National State of Address and many kgotla meetings to accelerate appointment of Commission for Constitutional review.”
BOPEU and NALCGPWU are especially excited on the appoinment of Mr. Johnson Pikiniki Motshwarakgole as a member in the Commission recently established by President Masisi.
The duo believes that in Motshwarakgole, the Trade Unions, and workers’ rights are well protected.
BOPEU and NALCGPWU stated five (5) reasons as to why they welcome the Constitutional Review Commission, and why they support the appointment of Motshwarakgole;
- Motshwarakgole is habituated, seasoned and highly experienced in issues of human rights and workers rights, a principled man of God, and a level headed servant of the people
- Motshwarakgole was appointed by Former President Sir Ketumile J. Masire in presidential salaries commission chaired by Mr Phillip Stenkamp.
- Former President Festus G. Mogae appointed Johuson Pikiniki Motshwarakgole as member of salaries commission headed by lqabal lbrahim.
- Motshwarakgole accompanied Former President Sir Ketumile J. Masire to Chile for state visit, he was also invited by former United States President George Bush (Jr) to White House on Labour study tour guide.
- Motshwarakgole represented Public Service International shaping Labour relations in Canada, Switzerland, Mauritius etc.
This praise song comes amid criticism from political parties, some experts, and social media commentators. The critics suggested that it was wrong for President to leave out some stakeholders while setting up the commission. Some believe that the President should have invited all relevant stakeholders during the process of formulating the commission.