0.8 to 1 kg slow cooking beef (beef chuck on the bone)
- 1 whole onion (optional)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3tbs olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper (optional)
- Water (enough to just cover the meat)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 240 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6 generous portions
- Cut the meat into large chunks then brown the pieces in a cast iron 3 legged pot over moderate fire.
- Add the whole onion, salt, cracked black pepper, water and bay leaves. Bring to the boil then cover and allow to cook for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, Remove the onion then use a wooden spoon to pound or mash up the meat. The meat should fall apart quite easily and will have a shredded appearance. You may brown the meat further if desired. Remove the bones then add a little oil.
- Check seasoning then serve.
To enjoy in traditional Botswana style, serve this with thick cornmeal porridge or “phaleche”, a side of green vegetables or “morogo” and much loved butternut